Your default IE browser provides the easiest way to change system default email client.
Steps to change default e-mail client on PC through IE
1. Log on your Windows as Administrator
2. Open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, select Internet Options. Click Programs tab and select your email client from the drop-down list. Once selected, click OK/Apply button.
You can specify any email client installed on your PC as the default email client so when you want to send an email, you can quickly and directly launch it, no need to select an email client first.
You can set Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Live Hotmail as the default mail client on your Windows OS, you can also choose any installed third party email clients, such as Postbox Express, Mozilla Thunderbird, Opera Mail, Pegasus Mail, IncrediMail, Mulberry, Foxmail, etc.
This is a system wide change. If you have other browsers installed on your Windows PC, this change through IE browser should also take effect on other web browsers as well. For example, if you have Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome installed on PC, when you click on a mail address on a web page opened with these third-party browsers, the system default email client will start automatically.
Another Way to Change Default Email Client in Windows PC
In Windows OS, almost all important settings can be changed from the control panel. You can also alter the default email client for your Windows OS from the control panel as well.
- 1. Click Start >> Settings >> Control Panel
- 2. Click Add/Remove Programs
- 3. ClickSet Programs Access and Defaults >> Custom from the left panel
- 4. Click the arrows pointing down to expand the Custom entry.
- 5. The email programs you have installed on your computer should be listed here. Place a check next to your preferred email client.
- 6. Save the change and exit Control Panel.