The big display of iPad, makes them the perfect ebook reader. New iPad users may want to know if there are any websites provide free eBooks for iPad they can download from. Here we recommend Project Gutenberg which provides more than 36,000 free ebooks with different formats for various eBook readers and devices including iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Android phones and tablets.
Download Free eBooks for your iPad
How to Download FREE iBooks for iPad from Project Gutenberg?
1. Browse to http://www.gutenberg.org/ on your computer;
2. Select from a wide range of ebooks on Project Gutenberg, absolutely your best choice to get Free eBooks for new iPad 3.
3. Once you open a book on this free eBook downloading site, you will find various versions HTML, EPUB(with images), EPUB(no images), Kindle(with images), Kindle(no images), Plucker, QiOO Mobile, Plan Text, etc.
iPad is compatible with EPUB iBook format, so choose the EPUB versions and download the eBooks to your computer first.
4. Run iTunes on your computer, then add the ebooks that you have just downloaded to your iTunes library.
5. Connect your iPad to computer and sync the free eBook to your new iPad through iTunes.
6. Use iBooks App on iPad to open the transferred free eBook and enjoy the Free eBooks for iPad on the crystal clear screen.
How to add ePub books to iBooks on iPad?
The default eBook reader on new iPad is iBooks App. You can access iBookstore from iBooks App to access and purchase thousands of books online. The iBook App itself is a freeware, you can donwload it from App Store. ePub is the most popular book format in the world. Project Gutenberg, the best free ebook download site, offers most books in ePub format. If you are using an Android devices, like Samsung phones, HTC phones, Motorola phones, Sony, you can refer to this guide to download free ebooks on to Android phones directly. iBooks App support ePub books well. Any ePub books you get on your computer or other source can be transferred to your iPad and you will be able to use iBooks App to read the free eBooks for iPad downloaded from Project Gutenberg.
To transfer ePub books from computer to your iPad through iTunes, just drag the ePub files into your iTunes Library, then sync your new iPad with your computer. The books will appear on your shelf in iBooks right alongside the ones you get through iBookstore. An easier way is to transfer ePub books from computer to iPad through email.
The fastest way to get free eBooks for iPad from Project Gutenberg
The fastest way to get Project Gutenberg ebooks onto your iOS device is to use the safari for mobile to navigate to http://m.gutenberg.org. Download the EPUB format and then “open in” the preferred application. You can refer to specific instructions here: How to download PDF and books on iPad? The Apple iBookstore also contains most Project Gutenberg ebooks. However the copy you get from iBookstore might not be the latest version sometimes. In such case, you will still need to download Project Gutenberg’s eBook files onto the new iPad using iTunes.
Also if you live outside the U.S. you won’t be able to access the iBookstore via the iBooks app. Thus download eBooks from Gutenberg via iBookstore does not work under such circumstances.
This Free eBooks for iPad downloads guide applies to iPhone/iPod as well.