If you have saved many photos saved on your mobile phone, stored a series of images on your computer or digital camera, you can turn these pictures into a slideshow video with text, music, transitions, videos. You can merge text, photos, music and video clips into one slideshow movie and play them on various devices, such as TV, computer, mobile phone, tablets, etc. We have reviewed various slideshow makers, movie creators on the site, you can refer to some of these reviews and tutorials as following:
- How to Make a YouTube Slideshow with Music?
- How to Create Flickr Photo Slideshow Movies?
- How to create Instagram photo slideshow movie?
- Make Photo Slideshow and Play on HDTV
In this guide, we will introduce you the most user friendly and powerful video editor Filmora and how you can use it to convert photos into slideshow movies, or convert videos into slideshow movies. You will be able to create stunning movies by yourself with photos, videos, background music, professional transitions and effects, elegant texts, cliparts and many more. It is very easy to use for beginners.
How to Make a Photo Video Slideshow Movie in Filmora?
Download the video editor & maker on to your Windows or Mac computer. It is free to download and try. You can get it for free now before we use it to create videos or movies to tell our stories below.
Here are the steps to create slideshow movies using Filmora video maker and editor for PC or Mac.
Step 1. Add photos, videos, music to the Video Editor
Go to the Media Library of the video editor, click Import to load your source media files from computer to the video editor. You can also connect up your mobile phone, digital camera to computer via USB, then click Import >> Import from Device, then open the media library on your smartphone or Camera to grab media files from your device to the editor directly. See below screenshot.
From the above figure, you can see that we are connecting an iPhone to PC and use the video editor to access iPhone Camera Roll to preview iPhone photos, select and save photos and videos from iPhone to computer while importing them to the video editor. The same procedure works with media file importing from Samsung, Lenovo, HTC, LG, Motorola, Nexus, Sony and many more phones and digital cameras.
Step 2. Manage media files in the storyboard
At the lower section of the video maker, you can see the Timeline or Storyboard. Here is the place you can add, edit, arrange, delete all kinds of elements, including photos, videos, text, music, transitions, and so forth. See below screenshot.
There are different tracks in the movie Timeline. Drag the photos and videos in the first media track, drag and drop the file to re-arrange it. Following are some useful tips you may like when you want to make slideshow videos.
Slideshow Movie Making Tips:
- Add transitions effects to photo slides: Click Transitions tab between the Media Library and Storyboard, you will find all kinds of built-in transitions. You can also download extra transition effects online from there. Select the transition you like, click and hold, then drag it to the timeline before any photo slide you like to apply the transition.
- Change display time of photo slides and transition speed: Click on the photo slide or transition in the Timeline to highlight it, then mouse on the starting point or ending point of it, you will see a white marker shows up, click on it and drag the marker to left or right to decrease or increase the display time of a photo slide or transition speed.
- Make Picture-in-Picture (PiP) videos: Picture-in-picture (PiP) is a feature of some television receivers and similar devices to watch two or more TV programs or channels at the same time. Usually one channel is displayed on the full TV screen, others are displayed in inset smaller windows. To create picture-in-picture videos in Filmora, you can simply drag other photos and videos to other tracks in the timeline. You can scroll up to the last screenshot on which you can see we have three tracks for photos and videos in the storyboard, and you can preview the picture-in-picture video in the preview window at the upper right section. Both videos and images can be displayed above the background video in the same screen. You can change the size of the display window of the videos and images by drag the border of the selected picture or video in the preview window. For details about this issue, do not miss out this tutorial to overlay photos & videos and create picture-in-picture video.
- Add text to movies: Go to the TEXT/CREDIT tab, to drag and drop the text effect to the TEXT track in the timeline; Click to select the text in the timeline, you will have options to edit text, change font size, font style, text style, color in the upper left section of the video editor. You can drag and drop to move the text to anywhere you like in the video preview window.
- Add music to movies: Go to the Media Library to add songs or background music from your computer to this video editor, then drag and drop them to the timeline Music track to add them as video background sound or music. You can also go to the Music tab to add music from the built-in media source library of the video editor. It has built in many popular and classic music and sound effects for your choice.
- Using video filters and overlays: There are numerous preset filters and overlays you can apply to quickly create movies with special visual effects. For example, you can create old black and white movies, create negative red, green, or blue videos, make black vignette videos, make exposure flash videos, rapid flash videos, create rotated videos, flipped videos, mirror videos, distorted videos, add special tones to videos and many more.
Step 3. Export slideshow movies
Once you have finished making the slideshow videos in Filmora and are satisfied with the preview. You can click the Export button to get a screen of movie export setting. You can go to the Format tab to select target video format you like, such as WMV, MP4, AVI, MOV, FLV, MKV, TS, 3GP, MPEG-2, WEBM, HTML5, etc. If you have any player or device to play the photo slideshow movie, you can also choose by device name, such as iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Android phone, smartphone, Samsung phone, Nexus, Xbox One, PS4, Sony TV. If you like to upload and share the slideshow movies online, you can choose Youtube, Facebook or Vimeo.
Burn picture slideshow to DVD
Insert a blank DVD disc to your PC or Mac drive and use export it from the slideshow maker to the DVD so you can play it on regular DVD players, watch them on big HDTV screen as well.
Slideshow movie making – video demo
Update Jan 2018: this article was published in 2015 and has since been updated. In this update, we created and added a video demo.
update Jul 2019: added slide show video to dvd burning.