Failed to open a MP4 file on Mac? MP4 video is not compatible with QuickTime Player?
We all know that MP4 is the industry standard, the most popular video format. But why the QuickTime Player can play some MP4 files, not others. MP4 is just a file format or container. It is like a box that contains your video, audio, and metadata. If the QuickTime Player won’t play a MP4 video, most likely the video is compressed using an incompatible codec. In such case, you can either use a more powerful media player with the codec support or transcode the video to a compatible codec, such as H.264. We recommend MP4 with h.264 or h.265 codec for great compatibility with various devices and even online browsers.
VLC media player is a free option you may consider. You should be able to download this free media player for Mac, then play most videos right away. What’s more, it even allows users the ability to transcode their videos to be compatible with a wide variety of devices and players.
Here’s the quick steps to convert videos using VLC media player on Mac.
Launch VLC player on Mac. Click File > Convert / Stream …. from the top menu bar to open a new dialog as below.
Click Open media button to find and open the video you like to convert in the VLC converter. Choose a profile from the drop-down menu and customize the format, video codec, audio codec, and subtitles. You can choose Video – H.264 + MP3 (MP4) as the profile, then click Customize button to choose the compatible codec for both video and audio as follows.
- Video codec: you can choose H.264 or other compatible codec
- Audio codec: MPEG 4 Audio (AAC) or other compatible codec
At the bottom of this Convert & Stream window, you can choose either to stream or convert the source video. Choose Save as File, click Browse to choose an output location. Finally hit the Save button to transcode your video. The Convert & Stream window disappears and you will be taken back to the main VLC media player window with the selected video added to the Playlist. Your video will be converted instantly and you can see the process bar at the bottom.
When finished, open the output folder to find the converted MP4 video file and play it with QuickTime Player on your Mac.
VLC player and converter alternatives
- SPlayer for Mac: a simple, powerful and intelligent media player for Mac with smart translation.
- UniConverter for Mac: Your all-in-one video toolkit for Mac. UniConverter is not only a video converter but also, video editor, screen recorder, video downloader, DVD creator, DVD ripper and more.
- Permute: the easiest to use media converter for Mac. It can convert video, audio and images files into different formats, edit your media files. No configuration required, drag and drop interface.