Samsung smart phones provide very good support to all kinds of email services, such as Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook, Yahoo mail and so on. When you setting up these popular email accounts to Samsung mobile phone, your phone will automatically configure many settings for you, so you do not have to manually input or choose them. Today, we will use a Gmail account in the demo to show you how to set up Gmail account on Samsung smart phones, such as Samsung galaxy S3, S4, S5, S6 and more Samsung phones. If you are using Hotmail, you can refer to this guide to set up Hotmail account on Samsung cell phone.
How to Setup Gmail on Samsung Mobile Phone?
1. Run Settings app on your Samsung device
You can access the Settings app from your home screen, from the Apps category or by pressing the menu button.
2. Choose Accounts & Sync
When you open the Settings app main screen, you should find Accounts & Sync option under the Personal section. Select it, you will then see a list of existing accounts on your Samsung phone.
3. Add new account to Samsung
Tap on Add account button on the right bottom corner to start creating new email accounts on Samsung mobile.
4. Add Email account to Samsung
You will be taken to a screen with available account types, such as Samsung account, Email account, LDAP account, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync account, and so on. Choose Email to starting adding email account to Samsung phone or tablet.
5. Input Gmail account username and password
Now you need to manually type in your Gmail email address and its password. Other than that, you have two extra options:
- Show password — this can display your password input so you can make sure to have enterred the correct password.
- Send email from this account by default — this is to define or change your default email account, so you can quickly send out emails from this selected email address using the Mail app on Samsung.
From above screen on your Samsung phone, you can also have a Manual setup option. If you are an advanced user who like more customized settings, you can try that. Otherwise simply tap Next to proceed.
6. Edit Gmail account options on Samsung phone
In this Account options screen, you can set how frequently you like the mail app to check for new emails. For example, you can choose to check emails every 15 minutes, 30 minutes or every hour. It is up to you. If you check emails quite a lot using your Samsung phone, you can set it to a shorter period of time to just several minutes. Other than email check frequency, you can other four options as following:
- Sync email – sync email between your phone and email server, anything you do on the phone will be synced to your mail sever.
- Send email from this account by default – this is to set the default email account. It is useful when you have two or more email accounts added to your Samsung mobile phone.
- Notify me when email arrives – anytime the Mail app on your mobile phone checks your email account and find you have new emails coming, you will get a notification.
- Automatically download attachments when connected to Wi-Fi or WLAN – this is quite self-explanatory. You can choose not to enable it, so when you want to download email attachment, you have to manually tap on the attachment and download it.
7. Finish Gmail account setup on Samsung mobile
This is the last step to finish adding Gmail account on Samsung mobile phone. Here you can give the Gmail account a name so you can tell it from other email account on the same mobile phone easily. You can also choose your name which you like to display on outgoing messages. When you are ready, click Done button to finish Gmail account setup on the Samsung cell phone.