Stuck on the go and in desparate need of internet connection? Here we show you how to enable Wi-Fi hotspot functionality on your Samsung Galaxy mobile in a snap. We know that, iPhone users can set up personal hotspot on iPhone to share internet connection. You can achieve it with your Android smartphones as well. You can turn your Android device into a portable WLAN hotspot or wifi router, to share your Android device’s Internet connection with one or more computers, mobile phones or tablets, like HTC mobile, Motorola smartphones, Huawei mobiles, LG, Lenovo, etc.
With Wi-Fi hotspot enabled on your smartphone, there are many things you might accomplish. Other than sharing internet connection between mobile phones, between mobile phone and laptops, you can also easily exchange or share files and documents between mobile phones and computer over Wi-Fi hotspot. When your device is serving as a Wi-Fi hotspot, you can’t use your phone’s applications to access the Internet via regular WiFi network connection (but of course you remain connected to the Internet via your mobile cellular data network). Anyway, to set up and turn on a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot on your Samsung Galaxy mobile, follow the steps below.
Turn on Wi-Fi hotspot on Samsung smartphone
1. Open Settings on your Samsung smartphone.
2. Tap on Wireless and Networks option.
3. Tap Tethering and Mobile hotspot setting.
Now you will be taken to a menu list, with Portable WLAN/Wi-Fi hotspot, USB tethering and Bluetooth tethering below it. Different Samsung mobile models may differ slightly in appearance. You can refer to this guide to set up WiFi hotspot on Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime mobile phone. In this Samsung phone model, you can easily find mobile hotspot option from Settings >> Tethering and Mobile hotspot.
4. Make sure you aren’t on Wi-Fi before you go to activate Wi-fi hotspot on your Samsung mobiles. Slide to enable Mobile Hotspot or Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot (You may see different names on various Android or Samsung versions or models). Now the mobile hotspot will be activated on your smartphone.
5. To maximize the most out of the feature, you can configure the hotspot with the WiFi hotspot settings. Tap on the Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot to access its settings menu. In the settings you can name your mobile with a Network SSID, so other device can recognize it in the network. You can set a password and even make your mobile hotspot private. You can change the security mode of your portable Wi-Fi Hotspot, you can choose from Open, WPA PSK, WPA2 PSK. By default, your Samsung Galaxy smartphone may use the WPA2 PSK.
Note: The mobile hotspot feature on your Samsung smartphone will consume lot of battery energy, when it is not in use, remember to turn off this feature in time to save power.
How to Connect Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot from Android, iPhone, other mobile or computer?
When you the Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot is active on your Samsung Galaxy mobile, you can connect the hotspot from other devices, like another Samsung smartphone, iPhone, Windows phone or computers. You can follow below steps.
- Find your device under the Network SSID name in WLAN or Wi-Fi network list.
Remember? We have given it a name in above steps.
- Choose the hotspot name and connect to your WiFi Hotspot on Samsung Galaxy mobile phone with the Hotspot password we have set above.
- Access the Internet with Samsung portable Wi-Fi hotspot from other devices.
Share files and documents between Samsung and other phones or computers
When you have set up Wi-fi hotspot on Samsung mobile phones and connect other phones or computers to Samsung phone via Wi-Fi hotspot, you can also exchange data between them through Wi-Fi hotspot. This works similar as data exchange between mobile phones and computers via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. You can refer to this guide to transfer data between Samsung phone and computer via Wi-Fi hotspot.
And also this tutorial to share photos, videos, music and more between Samsung mobile and Windows 10 via Bluetooth.